Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Hope And Healing

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Today is January 15, and Martin Luther King Jr's birthday. He was an incredible man, known the world around for his conviction and uncompromising endurance. He became the face of a movement that would eventually alter the course of history. His words have affected millions of people he has never met, and reached farther than he could have ever dreamed. What defined him most was his unwavering faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. His message of love was always founded upon his understanding of the Love he had received. He knew that he could only talk about love because he was loved first.

On December 14, 2012 in Newton, Connecticut, a man decided to end the lives of 20 children, 7 adults (including his own mother) and eventually himself in what was the second deadliest school shooting in our nation's history. 28 lives lost in the blink of an eye, as a man had lost his grip on hope and the reality of love.

In what was the worst part of the shooting, Lauren Rousseau, and fifteen of her sixteen of her first graders were fatally shot. The sole survivor was a six year old girl who acted dead until the sounds stopped, and she felt safe to leave the school. She was the first student to run out after the events were over. She described the shooter as only a six year old could; he was a very angry man.

Tonight, January 15, 2013, on what would have been Martin Luther King's 86th birthday, A Night Of Hope And Healing was held in Ridgefield, Connecticut, honoring those who were lost, and mourning with those that were affected. Lead by Casting Crowns, a host of Christian artists performed a free show for anyone and everyone. Toby Mac, Chris Tomlin, Mandisa, Laura Story, Steven Curtis Chapman, and Building 429 all played songs of worship and praise, all the while preaching on the good news of Jesus Christ. Louie Giglio, long time ministry partner of Christ Tomlin shared about being strong in the Lord, for He is strong. Mary Chapman, Steven's wife, spoke about the accident that killed their young daughter, and forever affected their family as it was their son, and Steven's drummer, who was the driver of the car. She spoke about the hope and reality of peace that can only be found in the arms of God. And Max Lucado spoke about the identity that we find in Christ. That He is our shepherd, and we His sheep. We are in great need of Him, helpless and hopeless without Him. He spoke about the opportunity to know God, how real it is, how available it is. He spoke about how great it is that through such a tragedy, such an awful experience, that God wants to make us new and holy, even amidst the confusion and chaos. How great it is that the devil would intend such a horrible day for evil, yet God would use it to bring people to Him! Amen! He encouraged and challenged those in attendance to remain strong in Him, to not give up, "don't throw in the towel" he said.

I sat at our breakfast table with two pastors from Connecticut watching the live stream of this incredible night. The weight of the moment was certainly not lost on me. We ate bites of our fried potatoes as Casting Crowns sang the words "And as Your mercy falls I raise my hands and praise the God who gives And takes away. And I'll praise You in this storm, And I will lift my hands, For You are who You are No matter where I am. And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand. You never left my side. And though my heart is torn I will praise You in this storm." I could not hold back the tears of the impact of these words. Not in the context they were being sung. To sing 'I will raise my hands and praise the God who gives and takes away.' to an audience, a community trying to reconcile the loss children. The loss of friends. The loss of people they'd never known...I can hardly begin to describe the faith it would take to sing these words as the heart breaks in confusion and pain. What hope they bring! Amen? To say God, I don't get it, I don't. But I am going to trust You, even in this storm. Even in this time that seems so hopeless and pointless, I am Yours.

One of the pastors began saying praise God, praise God under his breath as he watched. I mean, I was sitting at a table with two pastors from the area directly affected by this massacre, watching this live stream from Nellore, India! Are you kidding me? We sat there in awe of what God was/is doing, just singing praises out to Him. Casting Crowns finished there set with one of my favorite songs, Glorious Day. I could no longer fight back the tears that were coming. Max Lucado came out once again to wrap up the night with another word of encouragement. He begged the audience to not leave without prayer, to remain steadfast, holding on to the God who loves and desires good things for them. The only God who was and is and yet to come. As he spoke, all of the artists began coming behind him, lining up as a choir for one last song, as Chris Tomlin took to the front with his guitar and microphone. Max thanked everyone for coming, prayed, and invited Chris to lead one last song.

And Chris played a song that I have loved in the past, but have never felt a stronger connection to. Out of all of the songs that he could played, none could have captured the prayer of the local church more. "You're the God of this city. You're the King of these people. You're the Lord of this nation. You Are. You're the Light in the darkness. You're the Hope to the hopeless. You're Peace to the restless. You Are. There is no one like our God. There is no one like our God. Greater things have yet to come, and greater things are still to be done in this city! Greater things have yet to come, and greater things are still to be done in this city!" What an anthem! What a prayer! Greater things have yet come and greater things are still to be done, even when things seem like nothing could be farther! Even when hope seems but a word, God still has greater things in store! God will not forget His people, He will not forget His promises! By the end of the song, not an artist on stage was left with dry eyes. They knew it. They felt it. God is doing something. God did something in the Bridgeport area of Connecticut tonight.

We felt it all the way in Nellore, India, some 14,000 miles away! And to be able to share it with two pastors who will be in the battlefield of it, I mean, I couldn't write it myself! I couldn't make it up! God made it that I would celebrate His presence, His work in a town halfway around the world with two men whose communities have been forever changed by the sins of one man!

Thank You, Jesus, for Your sacrifice that make all things possible. Thank You for Pastor Kevin and Pastor Joe and they're work and hearts for Bridgeport, Connecticut. Thank You for allowing me to be amidst their mourning and celebration. It was beautiful, Lord. You are beautiful. I pray that You would continue to do a good work there, Lord God, that You would have Your way with them. God, I pray that You would shape hearts to listen, to be still before You. God I ask that You would continue to bless me with Your goodness and Your presence. Thank You for Your unfailing Love, for Your Grace and Mercy unending, and for everything that You do. Thank You that You are the God who gives and takes away, and that we need not but praise You. You are good. Thank You, Jesus, for You are good. It is in Your wonderful, holy, and precious Name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment