Monday, February 25, 2013

He's not done

On October 2, 2012, at 8:10 in the morning, my airplane took off from Portland, Oregon for Toronto, Canada. This was my first of three flights to reach my final destination of Southeast India. I would be spending my next five months there. My tickets had been paid for, my bags packed, my seatbelt fastened, and my tray in its upright position. There was no turning back now. I was on my way for an adventure I was more than excited for, and yet so unprepared. And as He does, God did not disappoint.

In my five months here, the vast majority of what I have done is preach. I partner with a ministry here who seeks to serve the lowest of the low, the poorest of the poor. They reach out to tribal people that even most low caste people wouldn't reach out to. And they continue to build up churches, both physically and Spiritually, around their area. This is what I knew I would do coming into this thing. This is what I could say when asked what my trip would be. But this is so much less than a description of what I was actually a part of here.

In India, I got to teach God's word to people who have never seen a white person in their life. I got to pray over people and see healing in incredible ways. One man stood upon a knee that was previously deformed from a bad healing from a break. He walked away smiling and praising God! I met person after person who had testimonies of how God came in and healed their broken bodies and broken hearts. I got to watch a high caste family throw out their last Hindu idol and submit themselves and their family to the Lord Almighty! I got to witness demon possessions manifest themselves in ways I had never heard of. I got to cast out demons in Jesus' name! I got to meet a man who had broken his back in a terrible car accident. The doctors refused to perform surgery on him for two reasons- one, they saw very little point considering his back was so bad that the surgery could do nothing, and two, he was a leper. But he believed upon the Lord and received a vision and healing. He went back to the doctor who told him what had happened to him was impossible. Not only was his back healed, it was like a young man's again! I got to drive in vans, cars, trucks, a scooter, and more often than not, a motorcycle. I saw thousands of kilometers of India from the back of a motorcycle. I got to preach at 6 weddings, and attend 3 others. I got to live in four different cities with four very different people. For instance, I lived in a village with people who spoke very little English for two whole weeks! I got eat at McDonald's in a random Indian town for Thanksgiving. I met a man named Cody from Kansas City there who was visiting the country with his wife, who was originally from India. I got to see two palaces of Indian royalty, one of which was the size of a small city I'm pretty sure. I got to put on some rubber gloves and clean Indian children's teeth. I got to ride in an auto (a rickshaw) for the first time. I got to ride a bus in India for the first time. I got to get my hair cut for the first time in India. I got to live with a crazy awesome German lady for a week and a half and cook in her kitchen with her, which she apparently never lets happen! I got to spend my birthday in a different country for the first time in my life. I got to preach on Christmas, and see more than 10 people come to Christ! Amen! I got to preach in the New Year with a really good friend at three different churches. I got to see her step way out of her comfort zone and give a message of encouragement to the congregation. I think I was the most encouraged one there, knowing what it took for her to do that. I got to help build a basketball court at an orphanage. I got to play soccer, basketball, cricket, and many more games with a bunch of beautiful Indian children! I got to preach at 8 funerals for wonderful, loving church members who went to be with the Lord. I got to meet people from all over the United States and even several different places all over India! I got to watch a concert for the benefit of the Sandy Hook Elementary School families that were wrought with tragedy with two pastors from the Bridgeport, Connecticut area. I got dedicate more than a dozen new churches to the work of God and His glory! I got to eat hundreds of pounds of rice and curry. I got to watch 6 beautiful full moons rise and set. I got to see monsoon season come and flood us out of being able to work. I got to witness baptisms in rivers, ponds, and a tank. I got to take a couple thousand pictures and capture so many wonderful aspects of India's beauty. I got to meet many wonderful people from all over who have forever blessed me. And just tonight, as if God were saying "There's still so much more for you to see!" I got to see a rocket take off for space. Yeah. Like, for real. A freaking rocket. And tonight there is a full moon, I'm pretty sure just for me and my last night here in India.

BUT! The best part of all of this is this. I didn't actually do any of this. I didn't do anything cool at all. Nor could I. But the even greater thing is the knowledge that God chose to do all of these things through a broken vessel like me! God was the one doing the work the whole time, and allowing me to see what He's been doing this whole time! He's the one who put those things around me for me to enjoy. He's the one who brought many people into my life that I will never forget! He's the one who continues to give me everything I need, and then so much more! And tonight He reminded yet again that He has so many more incredible and wonderful opportunities ahead of me.

Yes, my five month mission trip to India is coming to a close. But my next opportunity is just about to open, whatever it may be. And I'm sure that God will send me back here again in the future. When? Who knows? Next year? I hope so! I have shared many laughs, tears, joys, heartaches, music, meals, sleep, games, messages, words, scriptures, and life with so many incredible people here and I am so thankful to God for all of it. I am also thankful that even though God has given me so much, shown me so much, and done so much in me, He's not done.

No comments:

Post a Comment